Monday, February 20, 2023

Foam and Plaster Sculpture

Sketches

The original sketches for my idea were formed ideas and not very abstract. I was originally going to create the object in the bottom right of the second sketch page, but when creating, I was taken in a different direction as I used the materials.


In Process
The base of the sculpture.

The sculpture without plaster.

Beginning to plaster.

Finishing the first coat of plaster.

Reinforcing the base after two coats of plaster.
Final







This piece, entitled "Foundations: Memories of the Broken", it explores themes of humans and their identity. Specifically, this piece is related to the foundations of childhood and growing up. The gold covers most of the base of the sculpture, showing very little of the places that the plaster did not cover, travelling upwards to cover the mesh joints holding together the circular pieces and the circles themselves. As the piece ascends, there is less gold covering it and you can see the cracks in the plaster and the doll rods holding them together. The purpose of the piece is to connect with the audience in the sense of growing up and losing your sense of "goldenness" or your childhood and having to be vulnerable. My inspiration for this piece came from my own life and the difficult decisions within them. I also drew inspiration for the golden paint splats from Jackson Pollock paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Automata

I was inspired by an artist on Instagram named Amedeo Capelli who creates automatas to do this project. Before beginning, I wanted to pract...